Winchester Medical Center
WINCHESTER, Va. — Hagerstown native Dr. Kenneth Saum joined the Winchester Medical Center medical staff as the medical director of thoracic surgery.
A graduate of the Medical College of Virginia/Virginia Commonwealth University, he completed an internship and residency in general surgery at the University of Maryland Medical Center. He also completed an internship in cardiothoracic surgery and a fellowship in thoracic surgery at the University of Maryland.
Saum has been in practice for 13 years. Before coming to Winchester Medical Center, he practiced at Memorial Hospital of Carbondale in Illinois, where he was director of cardiothoracic and vascular surgery. He also served as associate professor of clinical surgery for the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Southern Illinois University, and helped establish the thoracic oncology program there.
Saum’s clinical interests include all aspects of cardiothoracic surgery, with specialization in thoracic oncology, chest trauma, early detection and treatment of lung cancer, coronary artery revascularization, and mitral valve repair and replacement. He is board-certified in surgery and thoracic surgery.
A lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Reserve Medical Corps, Saum has been deployed four times to Afghanistan and Iraq, with a combined length of service of nearly two years.
Saum joined Valley Health Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeons, at 1870 Amherst St., Suite 2B, on the medical center campus.
Capital Investment Companies
RALEIGH, N.C. — Capital Investment Companies, one of the largest independent financial services and brokerage firms in the southeastern United States, recently added two Hagerstown financial advisers to its team:
• Cort Meinelschmidt with Sentinel Capital Solutions in Hagerstown. He has been a registered investment adviser since 2011. He has his series 7, 63 and 66 securities licenses, as well as life, health and variable insurance licenses. Meinelschmidt previously worked for WFG Investments Inc. and LPL Financial LLC.
• Chelsea Miller with Sentinel Capital Solutions. She has her series 7 and 63 securities licenses, as well as life and variable insurance licenses. She was most recently affiliated with WFG Investments Inc.
RE/MAX Achievers recently announced its top agents for June:
• Top agent with commissions: Kelly E. Kline
• Top agent with new listings: Laurie A. Roberts
• Top agent with new sales: Andy Lapkoff
• Top team with commissions, new listings and new sales: The Powell Team, consisting of Steven L. Powell, Stephenie Rinehart, Linda Hansen and Steve Souders.
Truck Enterprises Hagerstown Inc.
Truck Enterprises Hagerstown Inc. announced the following promotions and hirings:
• Lee Mellott was promoted to service manager. He has been with the company since 1997.
• Matt Landman moved into the shop foreman position. He has been with the company since 2008.
• Erick Youngerman was hired as a service writer.
• Chris Smallwood was hired as a service technician.
• George Sweitzer was named top salesman of the year for 2011. He topped the outside salespeople in all of Truck Enterprises’ eight locations in Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia. He has been with the company since 1997.
• Colby Hutzell was hired as a parts counter person.
• Victor Kline was hired as an outside parts salesman.
• James Taylor was hired as a parts delivery driver.
Truck Enterprises Hagerstown Inc. has been in business since 1995. It is a Volvo and Kenworth dealership that offers truck sales, parts, service and financial services.
Business People - Aug. 12
Dr. Kenneth Saum (Submitted photo / August 8, 2012)