FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP) — Fort Wayne withheld $200,000 in payments to Navistar International Corp. after the company relocating operations to suburban Chicago did not provide job data.
Community Development Director John Urbahns tells the Journal Gazette the city awarded the truck maker a $500,000 grant in 2006 to keep its employment at 800 or more through 2010, but it disclosed Monday it did not make $100,000 annual payments in 2009 or last year. He says the company did not respond to a city request to verify job levels.
Navistar spokesman Ron Wiley says it wouldn't have been appropriate for Navistar to ask for the money after announcing some work was leaving Fort Wayne.
Information from: The Journal Gazette, http://www.journalgazette.net