SPRINGFIELD, Mo. One Pan Balsamic Chicken Veggie Bake
Courtesy: Dietician Lindsay Sparks/Mercy Hospital
Recipe adapted from: The Real Food Dietitians
Serves: 4 servings
• 1 ¼ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, tenders or thighs (if large, cut in half)
• 3 small heads broccoli, chopped into pieces (about 4 cups)
• 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into skinny sticks (about 1 ½ cups)
• ½ lb. red potatoes, diced into ½ inch cubes
• 1 small onion, diced
• ½ cup cherry or grape tomatoes
• ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
• ¼ cup olive oil
• 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
• 3-4 tbsp. fresh basil, finely chopped + additional for topping
• 1 tsp. fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
• ½ tsp sea salt
• ¼ tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easier clean-up.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, basil, thyme, salt and pepper.
3. In a ziplock bag or separate bowl, add chicken and 1/3 cup sauce. Toss/move chicken pieces around to coat with balsamic sauce. Place in fridge to marinate. While the chicken is marinating, dice up veggies.
4. With the exception of tomatoes, place all other veggies on the sheet pan. Drizzle the remaining balsamic sauce over veggies and toss to coat, making sure all pieces are coated.
5. Remove chicken from fridge. Move veggies around to make space for the chicken and place the marinated chicken on the sheet pan.
6. Place sheet pan in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and add tomatoes and toss veggies so that they cook evenly. Place back into the oven and bake for additional 5-10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees using a meat thermometer).
7. Top with fresh basil and serve!
**Dietitian tip: Double the recipe to make enough for leftovers for lunches. Will keep in fridge for up to 4 days.
Serving size: 4 servings (chicken breast)
Carbohydrates: 16 gm
Sugar: 9 gm
Sodium: 400 mg
Fiber: 4 gm
Protein: 36 gm