SPRINGFIELD, Mo. Sweet Potato & Sausage Quinoa Bake
Courtesy: Dietitian Lindsay Sparks
Makes 6 servings
Serving Size: about 1 ½ cup
Recipe adapted from: Spinach for Breakfast Blog
1 cup of quinoa, dry
2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 bunch of kale, stems removed and chopped
1 package of organic Italian chicken sausage, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup (or more to preference) of shredded gruyere cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Toss the sweet potato in olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes until fork tender.
4. Place the 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water into a small saucepan.
5. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until all of the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
6. In a large pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and the chopped kale. Sprinkle salt and pepper and sauté kale until it begins to crisp slightly. Set aside.
7. In the same pan, cook the chicken sausage pieces until browned.
8. In a large bowl, mix the quinoa, sweet potato, kale and chicken sausage together.
9. Pour the mixture into a large baking dish.
10. Shred a piece of gruyere cheese until you reach about 1/3 cup.
11. Sprinkle over the top.
12. Bake for 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Information, per serving:
Total Carb: 38 gm
Fiber: 5 gm
Total Sugar: 4 gm
Added Sugar: 0 gm
Total Fat: 10 gm
Saturated Fat: 3 gm
Sodium: 410 mg