Rags caused fire at business in Kirbyville

By  | 

KIRBYVILLE, Mo. - A fire that destroyed a warehouse last Thursday night was caused by rags used to stain wood. The public information officer for the Central Taney County Fire Protection District says a remodeling crew at VHC Brands threw the rags in a trash can and the fire started by combustion; the rags should have been discarded in an airtight container.

The fire destroyed main warehouse and showroom for VHC Brands, which sells blankets, pillows, rugs, curtains and quilts. The alarm sounded just after 8:30 p.m. Thursday. Firefighters were on the scene until midday Friday. The building didn't have a sprinkler system.

The owners plan to rebuild. The company has been in Kirbyville since the early 1990s. It has a secondary warehouse, so it's still able to receive merchandise and make shipments. The company's 60 employees were busy on Friday setting up a temporary office space, and hope to be taking orders and shipping again this week.