BOLIVAR, Mo. - Sign and striping crews this week will begin making changes to the Missouri 13 intersection at Highway U and Highway Y on the south side of Bolivar. It's an effort to make that intersection safer; it has had 46 crashes since 2011, including one crash with a fatality and 39 that injured people.
At a public meeting in Bolivar in January to discuss intersection improvements along Missouri 13, area residents said they were concerned about the signs at the intersection. That information, coupled with continued crashes, prompted the changes in signs and paving markings this week.
Here’s a look at what is taking place:
· New larger stop signs, yield signs, "do not enter" signs and other signs at the intersection
· New yellow crossroads signs on Missouri 13 on both sides of Highways U/Y
· Removal of a stop sign for eastbound traffic on Highway U at the Missouri 13 outer road
· New “cross traffic does not stop” signs on the Missouri 13 outer road stop signs at Highway U
· New pavement markings for the northbound acceleration lane on Missouri 13
· All work should be completed by mid-August
Weather and/or construction delays will alter the work schedule.
MoDOT is working with the City of Bolivar to develop a long-term safety solution at the intersection. The work starting this week is a low-cost, intermediate project to help improve safety until a long-term solution can be determined.