Winter Weather Advisory:
Issued at: 7:17 am CST on December 8, 2013, expires at: 12:00 PM CST on December 08, 2013
- ...Winter Weather Advisory in effect until noon CST today... The National Weather Service in Springfield has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for freezing drizzle and areas of light snow...which is in effect until noon CST today.
- Short term trends...recent reports from dispatch centers...Airport observations...and webcams indicate that a mix of freezing drizzle and light snow is causing slick spots to develop over southeast Kansas and parts of southwest Missouri. Areas from southeast Kansas and the Joplin area east and southeast to Monett...Springfield...Branson...and West Plains have seen a light glaze of ice and a dusting of snow. This will spread northeast toward the Nevada and Lebanon area over the next couple of hours.
- Timing and areas affected...this morning over parts of far southeast Kansas into west central and southwest Missouri.
- Snow and ice accumulation...trace amounts of ice from freezing drizzle and light snow can be expected to make roads and bridges slick.
- Impacts...cold Road and bridge surfaces will cause any precipitation to freeze on contact. Even if it does not look like much precipitation has or is occurring...the roads will become slick with even just a small amount of snow or freezing drizzle. Use caution if traveling this morning. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of light snow and freezing drizzle will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities...and use caution while driving.