Winter Weather Advisory:
Issued at: 3:34 PM CST on December 17, 2014, expires at: 9:00 AM CST on December 18, 2014
- ...Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect until 9 am CST Thursday... A Winter Weather Advisory for snow...sleet and freezing drizzle remains in effect until 9 am CST Thursday.
- Short term trends...areas of sleet...mixed with rain and snow at times...will continue across southern Missouri and extreme southeastern Kansas through late this afternoon. The precipitation will become more widespread and heavier from southwest to northeast this evening with accumulating snow expected.
- Timing and areas affected...all of southwestern Missouri... central Missouri...and extreme southeastern Kansas through mid morning Thursday.
- Snow and sleet accumulations...accumulations will range from a dusting to half inch across far southern Missouri...to between one and two inches along and north of U.S. 60. Slightly higher accumulations up to three inches can be expected along the I-44 corridor east of U.S. Highway 65.
- Ice accumulations...freezing drizzle late tonight may result in a thin glaze of ice by Thursday morning. Ice will be most likely on bridges...overpasses...and other elevated surfaces.
- Impacts...the wintry mix will impact travel especially on bridges...overpasses and secondary or untreated roads. Some travel impacts are possible for the afternoon commute across extreme southeastern Kansas and southwestern Missouri today... and the morning commute across the entire advisory area on Thursday. Travel conditions could vary considerably over short distances going from wet roadways to ice and snow covered roadways. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of wintry precipitation will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities...and use caution while driving.