A federal grand jury indicted a man from Willard for his role in a $1.9 million conspiracy to sell synthetic drugs, often known by names such as K2 and Spice, at his business in Battlefield.  John Waddell, 49, is charged in a six-count indictment returned on Tuesday.

Waddell and his wife owned and operated Bilbo’s Earth Store at 4032 W. Lark, Suite #F, in Battlefield under their company Johrri Enterprises.  Investigators believe Waddell conspired to sell the drugs from April 1, 2011, to Sept. 25, 2013. 

Waddell is also charged with maintaining a place in Battlefield for the purpose of distributing a controlled substance analogue and with possessing several firearms in furtherance of the drug-trafficking conspiracy.  Investigators say Waddell had a Springfield Armory .40-caliber pistol, a Bersa 9mm pistol and a Springfield Armory 9mm pistol. 

The indictment also charges Waddell with one count of money laundering and two counts of structuring a currency transaction to evade reporting requirements. 

The indictment also contains forfeiture allegations, which would require Waddell to forfeit to the government any property obtained from the sales of illegal drugs and any property used in those sales, including

  • $1,928,204 (which represents the amount involved in the conspiracy);
  • Waddell’s residential property in Willard;
  • Waddell’s commercial property in Springfield;
  • 83 electric, acoustic and bass guitars;
  • a five-piece drum set;
  • dozens of speakers and amplifiers; several guitar cases;
  • three pistols;
  • $32,271 seized from Waddell’s residence; a certificate of deposit in the amount of $100,000;
  • $216,535 in the bank accounts of Johrri Enterprises, which did business as Bilbo's Earth Store; and
  • $1,323 in Waddell’s bank account.

The Drug Enforcement Administration, COMET (the Combined Ozarks Multi-Jurisdictional Enforcement Team), the Food and Drug Administration, IRS-Criminal Investigation, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the Missouri State Highway Patrol, and the Greene County Sheriff’s Department investigated the case.