BASSVILLE, Mo. -

A fire destroyed a home between Fair Grove and Strafford on Monday morning.  Two people in the house escaped without injury.

The fire was as 6682 E. Farm Road 62.   Firefighters from Fair Grove, Strafford and Ebenezer departments fought the fire, which started about 9:45 a.m.   The driver of a water tanker slid off an icy road on the way to the fire, but the engine is not damaged.  A tow truck pulled it back onto the road.

Firefighters couldn't determine how the fire started but it started in the back of the house near a wood stove.

----

From The Associated Press:


JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- Fire officials urge Missourians to be careful when using space heaters and fireplaces to heat their homes.

The state fire marshal's office says:

  • Flammable objections should be kept at least three feet away from portable space heaters, fireplaces, wood-burning stoves and furnaces. 
  • Portable heaters should be turned off when leaving a room or going to bed.
  • Ovens should never be used to heat a house.
  • People should not burn in their fireplaces Christmas tree branches, treated wood or wrapping paper.

The advice comes as Missouri confronts cold and wind.  The National Fire Protection Association says space heaters account for about one-third of home heating fires and 80 percent of home heating fire deaths each year.