Springfield, Mo: A relatively new fitness tool is gaining in popularity. This equipment is called an exercise strap or suspension straps... the popular brand name is TRX Straps. KY3's Paul Adler visited with Fitness Partner David Poland of Extreme Fitness to learn about some different moves and routines for a full body workout.
Here's what David shared:
Upper body workout:
In this session we will go over some exercises using an exercise strap that are good for upper body development. For all these exercises, your strap should be attached to something secure.
1. Reverse fly front raise: This is a good warm up workout for your shoulders and upper back muscles. With hands holding on to the straps, fly out as you bring your arms to your sides. Now move back to your original position. The next step is to move your arms up to the front raise position, bringing the straps above your head and then back to the original position. To be sure you are targeting the correct muscles, keep a slight bend in your elbows throughout the exercise.
2. Row:Make a rowing motion with your arms while pulling yourself back. Squeeze your shoulder blades together for maximum benefit.
3. Push-up: This is the opposite of a row. Spin around from the row position and extend your arms the way you would if you were doing push-ups.
Start with 3 sets of 20 and build up to 4 to 5 sets of 20 for each exercise.
Lower Body Workout:
Here are 3 good workouts for the lower body.
1. Runner: For this exercise, the straps should be underneath your arms, close to your armpits, and hooked in your thumbs. Run in place with a knee high skipping motion, using the strap for support. Your body will be at about a 45 degree angle. This is a good leg warm up movement.
2. Split Squat: Put one foot through both strap loops, the other foot on the ground. Dip down as far as possible and back up, maintaining your balance. Work out both sides of your lower body by switching the straps to the opposite foot. If the balance part of this workout is difficult, set a chair next to you and use for support.
3. Mountain Climber: Lie on your back, hands on the floor and both feet in the loops of the exercise strap. Elevate your feet, keeping your hips up while you simulate a mountain climber motion by alternating knee movement. Keep your body straight to maximize your workout.
For these 3 exercises, start with 3 sets of 20 reps, and build up to 5 sets as you can.