While the temperatures are starting to cool down even more, possibly getting below freezing, it's safe to say many of us have on our heaters. Unfortunately hundreds of fires occur every year because of these heat related products.
Just picture, it's winter time, it's cold out, you put start up your wood burning stove or your space heaters, only to find out that those items that are typically used to help you, are the reason you loose your home or even worse.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Crystal Perryman's home caught fire due to their wood burning stove.
"My husband said, 'Did you leave the lights on out there in the back?' and I said, 'No. Why/' and he said, 'Well it's awfully bright,' and he looked around and said, 'It's kind of smoky,' and he just filled the wood stove up and he said, 'Okay,' and he laid back down and then he got back up because it got even brighter and he came out and said, 'The house is on fire, the house is on fire!'" said Perryman.
Luckily, her family was able to get out of the house in time but she says she never expected something like this to happen.
Aleena, 11, and Alexia, 8, also know all too well how terrifying fires can be. On Jan. 15, 2011, an extension cord connected to a space heater caught their Grandma Donna Dominguez's house on fire.
"Make sure you have a way to get out of the fire. Make sure your fire alarm is working. Ours didn't work, so it didn't wake us up. And just be careful and, if anything happens, there are good people out there. Things will come to you when they are suppose to," said Dominguez.
The girls both suffered third-degree burns.
"I have third-degree on my face and donor sites on my thighs and my leg is burnt and I got burnt right here on my leg, and my arms are burnt," said Aleena.
The Springfield Fire Department says about 500 people die a year from heater-related fires in the United States, which is a good reason, when the weather starts getting cold, that you should be extra careful and Perryman agrees.
"Always have a fire plan. We had never went over that with our kids and they had realized from school that there needed to be a meeting place," said Perryman.
Even though Aleena still goes through surgeries and laser treatments every few months, she says, one day, she wants to help those who have helped her heal.
"When I grow up, I want to be a burn doctor . . . because they helped me, so I want to help them."
For more tips, visit the Springfield Fire Department's website.