A man from Ava is charged with shooting a woman and stealing her car on Wednesday evening.   It happened near the small community of Wasola about 5:45 p.m.

James Porterfield, 34, is charged with first-degree assault, first-degree robbery, armed criminal action and unlawful possession of a firearm.  Prosecutors say he has past convictions on his record, including burglary, possession of a controlled substance, and tampering with a motor vehicle.

A sheriff's deputy wrote in the probable cause statement that Sucketta Bryce-Satterfield, 36, was backing her vehicle to the end of the drive and got out to open the gate.  That's when she said a man walked up to her, fired a shot and stole her 2002 Ford Escape.

Bryce-Satterfield ran back to her house and then realized she was shot.  She was flown to a hospital in Springfield, where she was treated and then sent home on Thursday.

Ozark County Sheriff Darrin Reed said Porterfield ditched the woman's Escape in Douglas County.  The Douglas County sheriff says Porterfield then stole a pickup from the home of one of his relatives in Douglas County.   It belonged to someone who was visiting that home. 

The Douglas County sheriff says Porterfield drove that stolen pickup to the home of a person with whom he was angry.  That person wasn't home, but Porterfield fired a shot into a wall inside the home.  Then he left the truck behind a church and walked to the home of an acquaintance.

The Douglas County sheriff says the acquaintance was able to talk Porterfield into giving up the gun, and took Porterfield back to his relative's home (where the truck was stolen).  That's where officers arrested him and took him to the Ozark County Sheriff's Department in Gainesville.  Porterfield likely will face charges in Ozark County for stealing the truck and firing the gun, which was stolen.

Sucketta Bryce-Satterfield

A state trooper showed Bryce-Satterfield (shown above in a personal photo) a picture of Porterfield and she identified him as her attacker, according to the probable cause statement.

About 8 p.m., a detective interviewed Porterfield  after reading him his Miranda rights.  

"Porterfield said he was walking up the dirt road when he came across a lady.  He told her he was sorry he was doing this.  Porterfield advised he did not know who the lady was.  He stated that he had the gun in his hand when he came upon her while walking up the dirt road.  Porterfield stated he tried to fire the pistol and it misfired and he then fired another round because he wanted to scare her.  Once she ran off, Porterfield advised he ran to her vehicle and couldn't figure out how to get it in drive but finally did and then drove off," the detective wrote in the probable cause statement.

For now, Porterfield is in jail with no bond set.  He's due to make his first court appearance on this case on Tuesday.