10:33 PM CDT, September 23, 2012
A huge plume of smoke could be seen for miles on Indianapolis’ west side Sunday morning.
A storage building burst into flames at Heritage Environmental Services at 7801 W. Morris Street. The company called in fire crews just before 9 a.m.
"(Workers) immediately came out, explained what was going on, what was burning. They had isolated the situation (the) best they could," Wayne Township Fire official Craig Peoples said.
Peoples said that potentially dangerous chemicals housed in the facility prompted the department to call extra crews to the scene. Hazmat and Health Department officials were also on site as a precaution.
In July, a dumpster filled with chemical-soaked rags caught fire at the same facility, also prompting a major response. In this latest fire, officials asserted that no chemicals were involved and all material burned was non-hazardous.
"It appears that a hot oil boiler located at the facility failed," a Heritage representative said in a statement.
Wayne Township Firefighters also said they did not believe there was a health hazard to anyone in the area.
"There was no risk of anything being discharged, released (or) spilled from the plant," Peoples said.
The fire is under investigation.