Test your knowledge of climate and seasons
1. Which is the correct definition of climate?
A. the current state of the atmosphere
B. past weather conditions averaged over a period of time
2. Lines of latitude are imaginary lines that run vertically across the earth.
3. The reason earth experiences seasons is due directly to which of the following?
A. the axis of the earth is tilted
B. the earth revolves around the sun
C. bodies of water and mountains ranges
4. Throughout the course of one year the suns direct radiation shines over latitudes varying between 25° S latitude and 25° S latitude.
5. The summer solstice in the northern hemisphere occurs when the northern hemisphere of the earth is tilted at its greatest angle away from the sun.
6. The winter solstice in the southern hemisphere occurs when the northern hemisphere of the earth is tilted at its greatest angle toward the sun.
7. The vernal equinox occurs around which date?
A. December 21
B. September 20
C. June 21
D. March 20
8. The winter solstice occurs around which date?
9. The summer solstice occurs around which date?
10. The autumnal equinox occurs around which date?
11. Which line of latitude is known as the Tropic of Capricorn?
A. 23.5° N
B. 23.5° S
C. 30° N
12. Which line of latitude is known as the Tropic of Cancer?
13. While it is winter in the northern hemisphere it is summer in the southern hemisphere.
14. The earth experiences two equinoxes in one full revolution around the sun, at which time neither of the hemispheres are tilted toward or away from the sun.
Copyright © 2013, KY3-TV