Greene County prosecutor files charges against man in high-speed chase through 2 counties

Chase went through Greene and Webster Counties.
Published: Jan. 11, 2022 at 7:07 PM CST|Updated: Jan. 12, 2022 at 12:52 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

REPUBLIC, Mo. (KY3) - A call that started with a 911 call for an erratic driver in the city of Republic ended with a suspected drunk driver crashing into a guardrail in Webster County. Along the way, the driver is accused of hitting two law enforcement vehicles and several other cars.

Greene County prosecutors charged Gregory Irwin, 39, with resisting arrest and driving while intoxicated.

The chase involved law enforcement from the city of Republic, Greene County Sheriff’s Office, and Webster County Sheriff’s Office. It ended just off Interstate 44 at mile marker 107 between Marshfield and Conway.

The first contact with law enforcement happened in the city of Republic. The Republic Police Department says it received a call for erratic driving and suspected DWI about 4 p.m. Tuesday. Spokesperson Allyssa Dudley tells us officers initially stopped the 39-year-old driver at the First Baptist in Brookline. Investigators say Irwin took off.

Investigators say officers spotted Irwin again on State Highway 174 in Greene County. Investigators say the suspect rammed into a Republic patrol car, causing moderate front-end damage to the car. The officer was not injured. He had been outside of the vehicle when the impact happened.

“One of our patrol vehicles was damaged,” said Sgt. Lucas Peery of the Republic Police Dept. “During the second pursuit of the subject, the subject pulled into a driveway and they initiated a felony stop procedure, and the subject rammed one of the patrol vehicles and fled the scene again.”

Investigators say Irwin then drove onto Interstate 44. Republic Police ended the pursuit there.

”It’s a judgment call, I know the first time they discontinued the pursuit, the driver was fleeing at over 100 miles an hour on I-44 during the afternoon traffic and passing on the shoulder,” said Sgt. Peery.

The Greene County Sheriff’s Office picked up the chase. Radio broadcasts estimated the speed at 100 mph through Greene County into Webster County.

Along the way, law enforcement says Irwin struck a Greene County Deputy’s patrol car as well as several civilian cars. The drivers of all those vehicles survived with no injuries. The Missouri State Highway Patrol is working with the drivers involved in crashes with the suspect.

Larry Marble who lives near where the police pursuit started couldn’t believe more damage was done near his home.

“Somebody’s going really fast and crazy,” said Marble. “I can’t believe that they didn’t have a wreck out there.”

Marble said he has words for Irwin, who caused so much danger for all nearby.

”One, he didn’t get killed and he didn’t kill nobody,” said Marble. “He’s going to have plenty of crimes to pay for, but killing somebody puts it up on a whole other level, so he got pretty lucky.”

To report a correction or typo, please email

Copyright 2022 KY3. All rights reserved.