Fire damages pine shavings business in Seymour, Mo.

Published: Oct. 5, 2022 at 8:23 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SEYMOUR, Mo. (KY3) - A fire damaged a business in Seymour.

Seymour firefighters say the fire at Eagle Ridge Shavings started around 3:30 Monday afternoon. When crews arrived, the business was fully engulfed.

”We had ten really good years, and we always knew this could happen,” said owner David Peachey. “Everyone’s really stepping up to the plate.”

Seymour Fire assistant fire chief Justin Byers says the whole building was gone in minutes. Firefighters with the Logan-Rogersville, Southern Webster Fire, Marshfield Fire Department, and the Ava Fire Department responded.

”They have a big drum that dries the shavings, and the conveyor locked up and started throwing sparks,” said Byers.

Owner David Peachey says the fire started on the roof area. When workers detected the malfunction, they went outside to try to help.

”I had two employees who got up there immediately with water and soon saw there was no use, and they got down just in time,” Peachey said. “The heat really hit them as they came down.”

Eagle Ridge Shavings provides bulk pine shavings to farmers. They use the product inside barns and for bedding. Peachey says he’s very thankful no one was hurt. He does plan to rebuild.

”We’ve got a very good customer base. They’re depending on our product,” said Peachey. “In the meantime, we’re hauling in from other areas. Today we’re in Kentucky. Yesterday we were in Arkansas.”

Firefighters say the business is a total loss. Peachey hopes to be back in production by the end of the year.

To report a correction or typo, please email digitalnews@ky3.com