Crews to install sound wall along James River Freeway between National and Campbell exits
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (KY3) - On Monday, crews will begin installing a sound wall on James River Freeway between National Ave. and Campbell Ave.
According to MoDOT, there will be lane and shoulder closures while crews drill the footings and install the foundations for the wall. Two of three sound walls will be built north of Route 60 as part of the U.S. ROUTE 60 (James River Freeway) Widening Project Between National Avenue & Kansas Expressway.
- Westbound Route 60 auxiliary lane and shoulder CLOSURES between National Avenue and Campbell Avenue in Springfield during daytime hours, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- National Avenue to westbound Route 60 ramp CLOSURES in Springfield during nighttime, 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Route 60 (James River Freeway) Open
- Crews and equipment close to traffic in areas
- Signs and message boards will alert drivers approaching the work zone
- Drivers should look for an alternate route
- Check MoDOT’s Traveler Information Map for road closings/traffic impacts
According to MoDOT, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) requires MoDOT to complete a sound study for noise abatement any time it plans to add through lanes to an existing highway, construct a new roadway or change the location of a road.
MoDOT decides where a sound wall should be located based on where it would most effectively block traffic noise. That location can either be on the MoDOT property line or closer to the road.
Ben Walton lives next to where the two walls will intersect. He says the changes are a long time coming.
“I can’t play in the backyard with my kids,” said Walton. “Because I’m yelling at my kids the entire time. It’s hard to have any enjoyment out here.”
Walton added that he and his family are excited for the walls to be installed.
“We’re actually really excited about it,” said Walton. “From the drawings MoDot sent us, this will help dissipate the noise as much as possible, and as far as we can tell by the layout, this will be the only house that actually has both walls helping to dissipate the noise level.”
“MoDOT’s first choice is to locate sound walls about five feet inside the public right-of-way, which allows room for installation, maintenance, and drainage,” MoDOT says.
Sound walls are not analyzed unless noise levels are 66 decibels (dBA) for property owners next to a highway.
The widening project consists of the following:
- Adding a lane in Route 60 median in each direction between National Avenue & Kansas Expressway
- Widen Route 60 bridges over Campbell Avenue
- Build two sound walls north of Route 60: Between Republic Road bridge over Route 60 and National Avenue along Kickapoo Prairie Estates Between Campbell Avenue and Republic Road bridge over Route 60 along Parkwest Village
- Replace eastbound bridge approaches: Republic Road bridge over U.S. 60 between Campbell Avenue and National Avenue Missouri Route 360 (James River Freeway) between Route MM and Sunshine Street
- Resurface Route 60 southbound ramps between Campbell Avenue and Kansas Expressway
- Fog seal Route 60 shoulders
- Intersection improvements at Campbell Avenue and Republic Road
MoDOT says the contractor is Capital Paving & Construction LLC, based out of Jefferson City. The project will cost around $21 million and is expected to be completed by November 2024.
To report a correction or typo, please email email@example.com
Copyright 2023 KY3. All rights reserved.