Here's how to appeal your property value

SPRINGFIELD, Mo.-- The bill for your property taxes is going up, but how can you fight it?
For some counties, it's too late, but in others, you still have time to appeal your assessments.

Is your child ready to be home alone during the summer?

"I never dreamed that they'd be as high as they are," said Jolean Miller.

Miller says she isn't happy about her property taxes increasing nearly $100. However, it's too late for her to appeal this year, so she's preparing for next year.

The deadline for Greene County was last week. Still, if your county's deadline hasn't come up yet and you want to appeal, there are things to consider.

-It's essential to know the deadline:
Usually, there aren't any extensions when it comes to them. You want to be on top of it and meet with your assessor before the deadline hits.

-Call your county assessor:
They can answer any questions, and help you sign up for an appeal. You would set up an informal appeal first with your county assessor. After, if you disagree, you can make an appointment with the county commission, the board of equalization for a formal appeal. If you are doing a "formal" appeal, Bryan Fisher with Neal and Newman Law says talk to an attorney. He says during these appeals, your goal is to show you are right, and hopefully lower property value. It's important that you have all your information about your property ready.

-Starting with the classification of your property:
Make sure your property is classified correctly. It could mistakenly be commercial instead of residential, or vice versa.

Does your property have any exemptions:
-Having your property listed correctly as a home, school or non-profit will help when trying to appeal.

-How much is your home appraised:
If you think it's not assessed accurately, take a recent appraisal and pictures to your appeal hearing.

-To win an appeal, you have to build your case first:
Fisher says going in and saying, "my property tax is too high, and I can't afford it," is not a base for an appeal. He says you will not win with that as an argument, so it best to go in prepared.

However, if you disagree with the board of equalization decision, you can then appeal to the state tax commission, If you still disagree you can file in circuit court.