E-cig blows up in teens face

Published: Oct. 22, 2017 at 9:11 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A consumer alert is out for those who use E-cigarettes. A teenager in Oregon nearly lost his eye after he says his blew-up in his face.

Blake Chastain says he was on break at work when his E-cig exploded, causing severe injuries including serious burns.

He also suffered an eye injury and most of his right hand is blistered.

The explosion even shattered some of his teeth.

The teen says he had only had the E-cigarette for a week and had not modified it.

"Just barely even touched it and it just went boom. And my ears rang like as if a grenade went off. I thought my lips were gone. Like it was nuts. And apparently - I didn't see it, but everyone else said part of the mod shot and like went through chairs and stuff," Chastain said.

A federal study released in July shows a massive spike of fires and explosions caused by e-cigarettes from 2009 to 2016.

And more than half of the explosions during that 7 year period--happened just last year.