Hit-and-run driver is not yet charged; victim fights for his life

Published: Jun. 17, 2016 at 5:43 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Kevin Fisher was lying on his back in the middle of Sunshine street early on the evening of June 11. He'd been riding his bicycle home from work. As he crossed the intersection of Kimbrough Avenue, a driver ran a red light, plowing right through him.

Witnesses followed the driver for a few blocks, and directed police to the car, where they arrested Jeffrey Maloney on suspicion of driving while impaired.

Fisher's neck and arm were broken. His pelvis was shattered, and, after a marathon surgery, Fisher was put in a medically induced coma.

At the office where Fisher works, JMARK Business Solutions, the avid cyclist is sorely missed.

"[Fisher] usually hangs his bike, and we kinda just put it over here for him and, when we see that bike, we know he's here, so it's a little disappointing to see the blank wall," said Russell Winterberg, one of Fisher's coworkers.

Winterberg says when his coworkers saw the image of Fisher's mangled bike, their hearts sank.

"I don't know that anybody could see that and not have some kind of emotional thought or be thinking about him in that time and thinking gosh I hope he's alright," said Winterberg..

Fisher's coworkers regularly gather for each update on his condition.

On Friday, he opened his eyes, a small step in the right direction.

"We're all hurting a little bit right now, trying to get him back," said Winterberg.

They've started a GoFundMe page to help his family. They've also been assisting with household maintenance, transportation and other needs the family has.

"We're all pulling for him, you know as a family we love him, we want him back, so just get well. We'll take care of the rest and then when he is back, we're going to be super excited," Winterberg said.

Kevin's coworkers just can't wait to be able to visit him in the hospital.

"The line will probably be long when they finally open it up and they're like, yeah, you can have visitors," said Winterberg.

Meanwhile, Maloney was released from jail just a few hours after the arrest. Springfield Police offered this statement by way of explanation:

"It is not uncommon for DWI offenders to be released from jail, after being held for four hours, due to continued investigation and/or case preparation. When a victim is injured or even killed as a result of the DWI driver's actions, it is also common for the offender to be released from jail as the investigation continues and the investigator works to collect all necessary evidence and build a solid case to present to prosecutors for their determination of charges. Charges related to this DWI and second-degree assault are forthcoming."