SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Homemade Applesauce
Recipe Courtesy Dietitian Alix Opfer of Achieving Your Best
Total time: 35 minutes
• 3 lbs apples (Alix used Pink Lady)
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tsp nutmeg
• 1.5 cups water
• 2 lemon slices
1. Peel and core apples. Cut apples into 1 inch cubes.
2. Add all ingredients to pot, and turn heat on high. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the apples have softened significantly.
3. Stir frequently, making sure that the apples are not sticking to the bottom of the pot. Add more water if necessary. Remove lemon slices.
4. Mash with a potato masher or food processor for a smoother consistency. Serve warm at room temperature or cooled in the fridge!
Calories: 47, Fat: 0.3g, Carb: 12g, Protein: 0.3g, Fiber: 5g