Youvarlakia Avgolemeno (Meatballs in Egg-Lemon Sauce)
(Recipe from Collette Wiley, Springfield, Mo.)
1 pound ground chuck
¼ cup dry rice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
½ cup parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Splash of sherry
For egg-lemon sauce:
Juice from 1 or 2 lemons
Warm stock or broth
Cornstarch (optional depending on desired thickness of sauce)
1. Brown onion in olive oil or butter. Combine meat, rice, egg, garlic, spices, sherry and onion. Mix well. Refrigerate meat mix for15 minutes. Shape into 1-inch balls.
2. Boil 2 ½ cups water in large pot. Lower heat and gently immerse meatballs into the water. If water does not cover meatballs, add more water. Cover with lid and cook the meatballs for 40 or 45 minutes and until the rice is tender.
3. To prepare avgolemeno sauce: Separate egg whites from yolks. Beat the egg whites with a mixer until they are foamy and thick.
4. In separate bowl, whisk egg yolks with lemon juice. While whisking, add yolks to foamy egg whites. If you would like a thicker sauce, add 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
5. Gradually add 1 cup of hot broth slowly to the egg-lemon mixture. You may need a helper for this step.
6. Remove excess liquid from meatballs and rice. Pour avgolemeno sauce over meatballs and rice and keep warm on stove before serving.
7. Tip: Cool leftovers before refrigerating or sauce may curdle.