Advertisement

Used fireworks cause trash can fire, local firefighters warn of proper disposal

(KY3)
Published: Jun. 28, 2020 at 9:28 AM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

With Independence Day less than a week away, the Battlefield Fire Department is asking everyone to properly soak your fireworks after you use them, and before you throw them away.

Just after 1:00 a.m. Sunday, the department extinguished a trash fire.

Fortunately they got it out before it could spread to a house on West Greenway Drive.

We're told the cause of the fire was some used fireworks that were discarded while still too hot.

The Logan-Rogersville Fire Protection District also stressed the importance of

to prevent burns or severe injuries this season, offering the following safety tips:

-Thoroughly read instructions

Assistant Fire Chief Russ Lafferty said, read the instructions before using fireworks. Although you may have lit fireworks every year, you must read the instructions on the packaging to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you.

-Always have water nearby

Have water within reach just in case. Lafferty said, keep a bucket of water and garden hoes nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don't go off or in the unfortunate event of a fire.

-Keep children away from fireworks

Keep the little ones away from the fireworks. So they don't feel left out, use glow sticks or lights as a fun alternative to joining in on the festivities. However, Lafferty said, for the older kids, make sure if they are using them, they are closely monitored.

-Dispose of fireworks properly

After all the fun is had, Lafferty said disposing of them safely is vital. He said you should soak both spent and unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding.

Latest News

Latest News