Brush fire caused brief evacuation of Veterans Home in Mount Vernon

By  | 

MOUNT VERNON, Mo. (KY3) - A brush and grass fire near Interstate 44 caused the staff of the state Veterans Home to evacuate the residents as a precaution on Wednesday afternoon. Emergency responders also asked people in a nearby subdivisions to leave their homes as a precaution.

The home burned a mobile home to the ground and damaged some outbuildings. It also burned some hay bales. The fire got up to the fence outside the Veterans Home.

An employee of the Veterans Home said residents were taken to the MARC, a former Assemblies of God Church sanctuary, along Business 44, about 2. They were able to start returning to the Veterans Home about 3:30.

Firefighters from Monett and Miller, and possibly other departments, helped Mount Vernon firefighters.

(Video at right is courtesy of viewer James Mondragon; the photos are from reporter Rachel Dubrovin)