Officers arrest man in shooting death investigation out of Thayer, Mo.

THAYER, Mo. -- A Poplar Bluff, Mo. man faces a first-degree murder charge in a homicide investigation out of Oregon County.

Kahlil Gregory Omar Smith

Police say 25-year-old Kahlil Smith shot and killed 39-year-old Daniel Carroll of Mammoth Spring at a home on East Adams Street in Thayer.

On Tuesday night just before 11, Glenn Crase and his wife were heading to bed.

"We heard gunshots. I told her I heard three or four. She said she heard more," Crase told KY3.

They thought maybe someone was shooting at an animal that are often roaming the area.

But they soon realized it was serious.

"First thing that we noticed, there was a car that come out of the driveway and I mean it was getting with it," Crase exclaimed.

Activity, the couple says doesn't happen often in this area.

"It was covered with police, Crase added. There were red lights all over the area here. This is a quiet neighborhood and it's kind of surprising."

Court papers say when first responders arrived at the home, they found Carroll with multiple gunshots and were rendering first aid.

Carroll died at the scene.

The woman who lives in the house told police that she had people over, including Carroll, another woman, whom she knew and that woman's boyfriend, whom she didn't know, later identified as Smith.

She told police she was in the bathroom when the shots rang out and heard the couple frantically leave and drive away in the white car spotted by neighbors.

She knew the shooter's girlfriend and Thayer Police contacted Doniphan Police who within hours, found and arrested the couple in a traffic stop.

According to court documents, Smith told investigators he believed Carroll was making sexual advances towards his girlfriend.

Detectives say Smith admitted to smoking meth that night and says he blacked out and doesn't remember shooting Carroll.

Thayer Police say the arrest was made so quickly thanks to the teamwork with other departments and the help of neighbors.

Smith is being held in the Oregon County Jail on $1 million cash only bond.